Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bookshelf Build-along

I'm getting underway on a bookshelf for the in-laws new place.  I've been wanting to build something like this for awhile now, but for my own house. It's going to be a mix of "real wood" red oak and some plywood.  It will give me a chance to use up some nice rough sawn boards I've had laying around for about a year now.  I'm working off a plan from Woodsmith magazine. I'm looking forward to trying some new things like the crown and dentil moulding. 




So far I've gotten most of the milling done.  The lumber was really rough so I had to spend some time with the hand planes getting one side flat enough to send them through the planer.  After a couple of sessions at the planer, and watching sooooo much nice lumber be turned into chips here's where I'm at now.  





It turns out that one of the boards has some really nice striping to it. Not too often you see that in red oak. My next steps are to  start practicing some dentil moulding and get the plywood. Hopefully I can find some good plywood that will compliment the real wood nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment