Friday, April 27, 2012

Slow and steady

Progress on the cradle continues... slowly and steadily.  I know I said I was going to post some pictures of the process of cutting out the side supports, but I guess I lied.  I was so excited when the router bit came and was under the gun before work, I just plum forgot to snap any pics.  You'll just have to trust me that it worked great and they turned out great.  See for yourselves.  My wife laughed at me, but I find the sweeping curve and that hip at the top very pleasing, and dare I say sexy.?.?  Hopefully once the whole thing is assembled they won't be overtaken or out of place with any other elements.  

My current task is getting the sides done.  It is a very slow and painstaking process.  I had to cut about 50 little pieces to fill the grove between the slats.  It would seem like one size should fit all but unfortunately that's not the case.  My router table setup leaves a little to be desired when it comes to repeatability of a cut after an adjustment.  It's a combination of the insert plate and the lack of precision between the motor and the base.  One of my next purchases really should be an aluminum plate with a router lift.  With that said, I did get the pieces all fit and glued.  I made an effort to match grain pattern to make them inconspicuous but I could only do so much.  At this point I need to get all the slats cut to length and fit in the rails.  I'll have to decide if there is any particular arrangement that will give a pleasing look.  I have a feeling that they'll just be random.  Once I have these sides done it'll be time to start some dry assembly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment